Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Finally some Wind.


Yesterday saw winds out of the Northeast again. It seems that these are the most prevailing here this time of the year. The waters off the balcony stirred up overnight and were quite turbulent at day break. I went into Vero City in the morning and managed to hit a bucket of balls at the Vista Plantation driving range. It's an excellent range with good grass. The course, however, an executive one, has a lot of water and consequently interesting fowl. In the afternoon I packed the car and drove up to the Wabasso causeway to sail. I thought there would be enough wind for some fun sailing while I was rigging. However, the white capped surface was deceiving. I found it was gusty with some serious lulls. If I was more skillful at using the old Curtis 320 board, I may have gotten in a few blasts in the straps, though. Being out of practice, it was all I could do to sail shore to shore staying upwind. I managed one good gybe while dropping the sail on my favored tack a few times. The 7.1 meter sail seemed to work with the board, but I still suspect it is out of the recommended range. My new equipment would have been more enjoyable, but we have to make good with what we have. This was my 68th day windsurfing in 2008, perhaps I can put in 70. Pictured are three sailors who were out on New Year's Day, again off the Wabasso Causeway.

No comments: